The Port of Immingham, on the Humber is the UK’s busiest trading estuary. It connects businesses across the UK and the world.
It is the UK’s largest port by tonnage, handling around 46 million tonnes of cargo every year.
The port is a critical part of the supply chain for sustainable electricity generation and other energy production, helping power the nation and helping to cement the Humber as ‘the UK’s Energy Estuary’.
The port is also a leader in handling a wide range of cargo, including Ro-Ro, containers (Lo-Lo), dry bulks and liquid bulks serving key sectors across the economy.
The Humber International Terminal deals with well over 40,000 vehicle movements per week.
Part of this is ensuring suitable segregation of traffic routes to protect infrastructure and people. Two key areas were identified as key; the one way HGV route and the parking area for the rail terminal.
As a multi-award winning manufacturer and supplier of vehicle restraint systems (VRS), Hardstaff was appointed by ABP to design and develop a suitable safety barrier system for the port.
Our MASS (Multi Application Safety System) barriers were selected. As a flexible solution to crash safety, MASS Barriers are streets ahead with a range of options proven to assist in the road safety of vehicles, pedestrians and workers.
- Range of high visibility safety colours
- Linking system
- Vehicle roll-on-roll-off stability
- Crash tested to full T2 W5 levels
- Non-permanent fixing – no drilling or coring necessary
- Speedy installation, assembly and repositioning
- All round safety for workers, drivers and pedestrians
- Relatively lightweight for easy transportation and storage
- Unit adaptations to accommodate rotations through 180°
Siteguard was fitted on top of the MASS base unit. Siteguard is an accessory of the MASS and features an anti-climb galvanised mesh fence panel to provide security to site whilst maintaining the vehicle roll-on-roll-off stability to control an errant vehicle.
Hardstaff are trusted to supply & install because our professional and award-winning team of installers are confident & competent in VRS installation. Training includes SSSTS, NHSS 2B Product, ALLMI Crane Supervisor, ALLMI Slinger/Signaller, CPCS Plant & EFAW.
Multibloc was then deployed for other areas. Multibloc is a temporary vertical concrete safety barrier system with the left and right quarters painted in red for increased visibility in the port setting.
- Provides a safe working area – protecting workforce from vehicles travelling next to site areas
- Ideal product for temporary traffic systems
- Can be painted in a range of high visibility safety colours
Thanks to the installation of these barriers, the port has continued to operate its handling of around 46 million tonnes of cargo every year whilst keeping people safe from moving vehicles and heavy-duty plant.
“Hardstaff barriers were an absolute pleasure to use. Not only did they help us understand the key issues, they worked collaboratively with us to engineer a bespoke solution. I was especially pleased with how they kept the high standards of health and safety that are expected in a port environment. I would highly recommend Hardstaff Barriers not just for their products but for the full support for the life cycle of the project. Well done!” –
Mike McHale – Head of Health & Safety – Humber
“I would highly recommend Hardstaff Barriers not just for their products but for the full support for the life cycle of the project. Well done!”
Going the extra mile
A bespoke planter was also sourced & installed for the centre of a temporary roundabout. The ABP branding was also incorporated as a warm welcome to this part of the port as well as providing a defined safe route for HGV’s.
The Hard Facts
- ABP chose Hardstaff Barriers based on their product range, reputation in the industry & their exemplary health, safety & quality achievements.
- The barriers were painted red/white for high visibility for added safety.
- Multiple products were used to help deliver the full solution.
- Hardstaff went the extra mile sourcing other products to complete the project.